S 28°51’1.94 E 29°50’34.43
During the night of 17 February 1838 the Voortrekker encampments on the shores of the Bloukrans River were attacked by a Zulu force and almost annihilated. This poignant event is commemorated by a marble monument at the site where the victims were buried in a mass grave. Voortrekker leader, Gert Maritz’s grave forms a part of the monument. The area around the monument, which previously belonged to the Dutch Reformed Church of Natal, was transferred to the Heritage Foundation in 2004.The monument itself is maintained by AMAFA KwaZulu-Natal.